Friday, August 26, 2022

"Enlarge My Heart"

Ephesians 2.12-13, 19 NIV

“...remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.

“But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.”

“Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household,”

According to the Bible, I used to be…
  • separated from Christ
  • excluded from citizenship
  • a foreigner to the promise
  • without hope
  • without God
  • an alien
Now, also according to the Bible, I’m a…
  • a citizen of the kingdom of God
  • a member of the family of God
That means… I may not ignore those who are on the outside. My heart must beat in rhythm with the heart of God which pounds with passion for the lost. He spilled His own blood to bring them in. Everyone I see is a candidate for citizenship and membership. If I can get in, anyone can!

Lord, cultivate in me an attitude of openness to all people, especially those who feel excluded, unattached, and alienated. May the joy I have for the blessing of citizenship in this great kingdom cause me to get outside and beyond myself on behalf of those who need a spiritual place to call home. Enlarge my capacity to love others into a relationship with Jesus.

“For You will enlarge my heart.”
Psalm 119.32b NASU
_____________________

The drawing above is from the animated 2000 film How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, an American fantasy comedy Christmas film from Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment, based on the 1957 book of the same name by Dr. Seuss.

No comments: