Monday, August 29, 2022

"Meet My Inner Man"

Ephesians 3.14-17a NASU

“...that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;” I’d like you to meet my “inner man.” My “inner man” is the core of who I am. He dwells in the place where significant decisions and promises are made. This is where resolve begins enabling me to stand when the temptation to run, sin, or waver threatens to overpower me. My “inner man” is the real me, the me worth knowing, the me with whom Christ dwells.

Perhaps, with God's help, my “inner man” will make an appearance and inspire you. He must first become presentable which can only happen by prayer. I will ask his Maker to strengthen the “inner man” with “power through His Spirit… so that Christ may dwell” with him. When my “inner man” is in tune with the Spirit and fully clothed with Christ (Romans 13.14) [1], he is ready to make his debut.

‘Outer Dave’ is a temporary shell of a man. He is “just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away” (James 4.14). My outer man “a mere breath; his days are like a passing shadow” (Psalm 144.4). He will soon disappear. What I look like, my old way of being, my inconsistencies and imperfections will all go ‘poof’ and vanish like smoke in the wind. My “outer man” is slowly making room for my “inner man.” Ultimately, there’s only room for one of us.

“Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying,
yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.”
2nd Corinthians 4.16 NASU

_______________________

[1] “Put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.”

The drawing at the top of this post is by Marc Johns and called “untitled (man inside beast).” I love this piece (used here with Marc's permission). Check out Marc John’s artwork and make a purchase at http://www.marcjohns.com/.

No comments: