Monday, September 12, 2022

"Take a Seat"

Colossians 3.1-2 NIV

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”

Where Jesus Christ? The popular evangelical Sunday School answer claims “Jesus lives in my heart.” However, the Bible teaches Jesus is somewhere else. He is “above” and “seated at the right hand of God.” According to Colossians 3.1, it may be more biblically correct to get my heart to where Jesus is than to try to get Him in my heart!

“...set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.

Have I set my heart “on the things above where Christ is” as the Bible commands? Or, do I flounder in the rubble of circumstance whining at my Maker with complaints that always reduce to one ridiculous and useless two-word question: “Why me?” Will I continue to scratch and peck in the dust of less-than-optimal conditions like a flightless barnyard bird? Or, will I set my heart “on the things above” and soar like an eagle beyond the chaos…

“…those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings
like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Isaiah 40.31

Can you imagine an incredulous Jesus standing at heaven’s edge horrified at the continuous string of stupid human tricks occurring every eternal moment? Does He rant at the world He created, shaking His fist in disbelief at the crazy humans who messed it up? No. He is not standing. Jesus is “seated” next to God, existing “above” every petty, earthly, and inconsequential circumstance. He has everything under control.

I should learn to relax and take a seat next to Jesus.

___________________

The beautiful oil painting of the rocking chair is called "Throne of God" is by artist Gwen Meharg and used here with permission. You can find her art at http://www.drawneartogod.com/default.asp#top/.

No comments: