Tuesday, September 13, 2022

"Which Door?"

Colossians 4.3-4

“And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.” NIV

“…open up to us a door for the word.” NASU

A door is a two-way mechanism. It both grants an entrance and ushers an exit. Doors provide a way to new, next experiences and offer an escape when those experiences become unpleasant.

Locked doors offer security but may also imprison the soul. Sometimes doors are tightly bolted for way too long and opportunities on both sides of the entrance-exit portal are forever lost.

Paul asked his friends to pray that God would “open up… a door for the word.” He was speaking of political doors and spiritual doors and all doors in between. He had every intention of speaking the word of the gospel at all opportune moments. Paul was ready, willing, and able. All he needed was the open door. When the Lord asked, “Whom shall I send?,” like the prophet Isaiah, Paul was eager to perform:

“Here am I. Send me.”
Isaiah 6.8

For Paul there was only one door… the door of opportunity. For me, there are two… my door and opportunity’s door. Paul’s words remind me that I can never enter the door of opportunity until I first exit my own front door.

“Open up… a door for the word.”

May God open for me many doors to share Jesus today in meaningful ways as I step through the one door that holds me back… my own.

1 comment:

One Sided said...

In reading your message this day, I have an image of a door with a sign that reads DO NOT ENTER.
Does that door Keep you out or does it keep you in?
Would it necessarly be a bad thing to peek behind it?
Can you step back through to where you were before? Or can you never really return to the exact place you once stood?
Why would there be a door if it was not to be used?

I have a doorway in my house that is actually blocked by furniture. It offered a second entrance into the kitchen. To have it open would save me about 10 steps when I want that late night glasss of milk and a cookie.
TO me it serves no useful purpose, yet to the builder it was a design feature.

How can one door offer such different points of view on the same room it allow egress to?