Monday, May 01, 2023

"The Banished Son"

2nd Samuel 14.13-14 NLT

You have convicted yourself in making this decision, because you have refused to bring home your own banished son. All of us must die eventually. Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God does not just sweep life away; instead, he devises ways to bring us back when we have been separated from him.

The story of the wise woman from Tekoa who condemned King David for his refusal to reconcile with his “banished son” pierced David’s heart. He was “convicted” and sent immediately for Absalom to return home.

About sixteen years ago I experienced an unhappy encounter with another human, one which I shall never forget. My youngest son and I were bicycling around Beaverton. Robert was only eight years old at that time. On the corner of Allen and Hall a pedestrian engaged my son in conversation as we waited for a green light at the cross walk.

The guy became emphatic on an idea that made little sense. I suspected the man was either high or drunk. He extended his hand and squeezed mine tightly pulling me in close to make another nonsensical point. I listened for a moment, became impatient, and asked him to let go of my hand. This request offended him and he called me some foul names accusing me of “turning something beautiful into bad thing.” I escalated the incident by asking him if he had been drinking. The question infuriated him and he stomped off mumbling obscenities in my direction.

I later asked my son what he thought of the altercation. His eyes filled with tears and he said the man was “just so lost.” I suggested we pray for him. My boy sobbed out the words… “Jesus please help that man. He is so lost. Just so lost.”

I agreed with Robert’s prayer but, like King David, I felt “convicted.” In the moment of this man’s intrusion, it did not occur to me that I could be an agent of reconciliation. I may have missed a divine opportunity. The man needed a little love. He needed Jesus. I could have turned the conversation toward the things of God. Who knows? This guy may have been ready to make a life-changing decision for Christ. Or, maybe he was an angel sent to test the depth of my love for hurting and broken people who smelled bad. I’m sure my attempt to “bring home” a “banished son” would have made a more positive impact on my son than the argument he witnessed.

I can never recapture the moment. This story is “like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again.” It’s gone. The next time God “devises” a way to bring back His “own banished son,” and offers me a chance to participate, I hope I am more perceptive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave. Your account of your and Robert's meeting with this lost soul was very meaningful. Everyday, we miss opportunities to minister to people. Our lives are so busy and consumed with our own problems we sometimes fail to see others in need. I believe that by your praying with Robert, this is what he will remember.
God Bless

davescriven said...

Hey Rick

Thanks for the comment.

Dave

Eliane Jany Barbanti said...

Welcome to my Blog. I enjoy your Blog too.
Thank you very much for your visit and become my follower.
Hugs.
Eliane

Diwakar said...

Hello dear Bro.Dave. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am so glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about you being earlier Pastor and now an Estate Dealer. I did have similar experience in my life and felt convited of my lost opportunities but reminded by your devotional thought once again to make best use of the opportunity to lead people to Christ when you have an opportunity to encounter such people. Thank you so much for your post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with s during their vacation time. We would love to have young grown up children of yours or from your contact to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. God willing I will be coming to the United States in the month of June and will be so glad to stop by your place and meet you. Looking forwawrd to hear from you very soon. God's rihedst blessings on you, your family and the business you have of real estate.My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede