Thursday, January 19, 2023

"There is a God and... I'm Not It!"

Genesis 46.2b-3 NIV

“Jacob! Jacob!... I am God, the God of your father… Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you.

 
Who is God? The answer is simple. God is God. No one else is God. God alone qualifies to be God. 

“I am God”

This truth of who God is has serious implications for the rest of us who aren’t God. God has a specific plan and detailed design for each person. If I have a pulse, I have a purpose. God’s plan may surprise me and, like some software I use, may seem counter-intuitive. If I were God I would do my life differently. But I’m not and He is. Therefore, the only sensible response is trust. I must trust Him and, since God is God, I can trust Him.

If I trust myself then I betray the secret notion that I think I am God. If I believe God alone is God, then I will trust and obey when He sends me to places I do not want to go.

“I am God… go down to Egypt”

Egypt was not Jacob’s choice. It was God’s. Because Jacob knew that God was God, he was willing to go.
“I am God… I will go down to Egypt with you…”

 
There are two simple truths I should be aware of…
  1. There is a God, and…
  2. I’m not it!
That should make it far easier for me to go to Egypt or anywhere else God might send me.

No comments: