Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"144,000"

Revelation 14.3b, 4b NASU

“…the one hundred and forty-four thousand… These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. 
Read Sarah Hale’s children’s poem [1] with a biblical twist:
“Mary had a little Lamb, little Lamb, little Lamb;
Mary had a little Lamb, its fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere the Lamb went, the Lamb went, the Lamb went;
And everywhere the Lamb went, the 144,000 were sure to go.”
I wish I were one of the 144,000 but, according to the book of Revelation, chapter 14, I don’t qualify…
  • The Lamb’s name (“Jesus”, I presume) is not written on my forehead (v.1).
  • I never “sang a new song” to an audience of supernatural creatures in heaven (v.3).
  • Unlike the 144,000, I certainly have “been defiled with women” (v.4).
  • Lies have been found in my mouth (v.5).
  • I am not blameless (v.5).
I may not be one of the 144,000, but like the 144,000, I am learning to “follow the Lamb wherever He goes”.

“…the one hundred and forty-four thousand…
are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes.”
Revelation 14.3-4 NASU

I am not one of the 144,000, but like all true children of God, I learning to be “led by the Spirit of God”

“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.”
Romans 8.14 NRSV

I may not be one of the 144,000, but like Matthew, I am learning to obey His command to “Follow Me”.

“As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man Matthew sitting at the tax office.
And He said to him, ‘Follow Me.’ So he arose and followed Him.”
Matthew 9.9 NKJV
 _____________________

[1] "Mary Had a Little Lamb" was first published by self-taught American author Sarah Josepha Hale in 1830. She was a prolific writer of poetry and novels and published over fifty volumes of work before her death in 1879. Hale is also known for her successful appeal to President Lincoln for a national holiday we call Thanksgiving.

The water colors above are from a group of paintings entitled "Crowds", part of a larger creative series project by artist Eric Reyes Lamothe called "Minimal Multitudes." In Mr. Lamothe's own words: "The origin of my work is in the crowds. Not as a conclusion of what a conglomerate of people represents, but a starting point which multiplies from small amounts of information into a set of ideas that can be materialized as a portable exhibition, a series of drawings or actions on the streets." Eric gave me permission to use his work here. Check out his website at http://www.eric-reyes.com/index.html.

2 comments:

Kelly L said...

Great post - I'm looking forward to the day where I will see His face..

Love to you and Merry Christmas
Kelly
I've Become My Mother

Dave Scriven said...

Thanks Kelly.