Wednesday, December 21, 2022

"A Glimpse of Heaven"

Revelation 15.5 NASU

“After these things I looked, and the temple of the tabernacle of testimony in heaven was opened.”
 
What John saw when “the temple of the tabernacle of testimony in heaven was opened” is far less important than that John saw. That God is willing to reveal Himself to humans, the Creator condescending to His creation, is testimony enough of His love and devotion toward us. The Lord opened the doors of heaven offering John, and presumably all of us, a glimpse of what’s there and what’s to come.

I need not be concerned about my future. I may feel secure in the loving arms of Jesus. I can place my trust in a God who is willing to reveal Himself and disclose my ultimate destiny. My future is heaven. There is nothing else I need to know. I can enjoy and endure the journey and wait for the outcome. I am confident that Lord who knows the future will keep me from any harm my future may hold.  

In a post-resurrection appearance with the disciples, Jesus offered His wounded side to Thomas.  

“Reach here with your finger, and see My hands;
and reach here your hand and put it into My side”
Jesus, John 20.27

The doubting disciple previously boasted, “Unless… I put my finger in the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe,” (John 20.25). It took far less than he thought to believe. There is no textual evidence that Thomas actually touched Christ’s wounds. Rather, upon seeing the risen Lord, Thomas spontaneously blurted a statement of faith and erased all his doubt...

“My Lord and my God!”
Thomas, John 20.28

He’d seen enough. No further proof was necessary. Thomas was a beiliever. 

I received a glimpse of heaven when I read my Bible this morning. I have seen the glory of the Lord through the eyes of John and the other inspired writers of the New and Old Testaments. I’ve seen enough. No further proof is needed. I believe.
_______________

The photo of a dead person going feet first skyward is entitled "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Charleston, South Carolina photographer Claudia Robinson  http://www.pbase.com/cnell/image/19340489.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave for your insights. I too believe.
Blessings, Rick