Thursday, May 05, 2022

"What's That to You?"

John 21.18b-22 The Message

“‘…when you get old you’ll have to stretch out your hands while someone else dresses you and takes you where you don’t want to go.’ He [Jesus] said this to hint at the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. And then he commanded, ‘Follow me.’

“Turning his head, Peter noticed the disciple Jesus loved [John] following right behind. When Peter noticed him, he asked Jesus, ‘Master, what’s going to happen to him?’

“Jesus said, ‘If I want him to live until I come again, what’s that to you? You — follow me.’”

I sometimes wonder why people who don’t deserve the good life, get one. It’s an interesting question, but here’s a better one: Why do I care?

John was fond of referring to himself as “the disciple Jesus loved,” implying a special and exclusive relationship. This term of endearment appears to have irritated Peter. Clearly, Peter was bothered that John might not suffer the martyr’s fate Jesus predicted for Peter. His inquiry about John, “Master, what’s going to happen to him?” revealed a spirit of jealousy lurking inside Peter. It was hardly innocent curiosity that prompted Peter’s question.

Christ did not explain Himself to Peter or justify His plans for John. “If I want him [John] to live until I come again, what’s that to you [Peter]? You - follow me.”

Jesus has yet to “come again” and John has long since deceased. To paraphrase the Lord’s message to Peter: ‘Peter, My plans for John are none or your business. What’s it to you anyway? Get your eyes off John and follow Me.’

Christ’s plans for other people are none of my business. He has a particular plan for me. It’s my divine obligation, my joyful duty to find out what it is and then, do it. When I am tempted to compare my plight with those whom (I deem) are less deserving or begrudge those whose life (I assume) is easier and softer than mine, it’s time to apply the words of Jesus:

“What’s that to you [Dave]? 
You — follow Me.”
_______________

The snowmen cartoon above is called "Jealousy" and used by permission of artist Kieu. It was originally posted on her site www.4girlgamers.com, which is now closed. 

The paper bags image is entitled "Jealousy______Love" and used by permission of Monica Grzes' at http://www.flickr.com/photos/drawingmonika/.

5 comments:

KieutiePie said...

Hi Dave! Thanks for properly crediting me for the picture. The title of the post is actually "Jealousy" though, and I would prefer it if you did not crop out the web address at the bottom. Is the big black bar down there too ugly? I can change it if needed. Again, thanks for using and linking to my image. I'm glad you found it relevant to your post.

davescriven said...

Hi Kieu,

Thank you for your permission to use "Jealousy". I like your art work a lot and this picture was relevant to my post. (I added the black bar back in.)

Dave

KieutiePie said...

Dave -

Thanks! I went and updated the picture to remove the black bar without removing the text. Please feel free to use this new version! It should fit in well with your layout, and also can be tracked back to our little blog if it ever gets separated again. =D Thanks so much for being so kind about this all. There is so much image theft on the internet, it's refreshing to see someone take the time to properly contact and site their sources. I'm glad that you appreciate our art, even the silly stuff. =}

davescriven said...

Hi Kieu,

I admire people who dig deep within themselves to find a message and share it creatively. So many artists do that but remain unrecognized, under-rated, and, of course, underpaid. Giving proper credit to an author and artist is a sign of respect. In some small way, I want to bring attention to the work of artists like you who benefit others around the world. The Master Artist created you to create and make the world a better place. Thank you for sharing with me and my readers.

Dave

KieutiePie said...

Dave - I'm glad the new version of the pic works better for you. Again, thank you! =}