Friday, April 15, 2022

"What's Not to Trust?"

John 7.18 NIV

“He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.”


How do you know when people are telling the truth? Check their motives. What do they have to gain if you believe what they say? That they have much to gain, does not necessarily preclude the possibility of truth-telling. However, if they have nothing to gain, they are almost certainly not lying. A man who truly seeks the honor or welfare of another probably has pure motives. 

I occasionally question my own motives. Here’s a few questions I’ve posed to my self. Feel free to consider them for your self. 
  • Am I more interested in the object of my devotion or the reward for my devotion?
  • Is it possible for me to give freely without thought anything in return?
  • Do I expect recognition, appreciation, or honor when I perform well?
  • Am I as kind and loving to my vendor as I am to my client? If not, why not?
  • Am I seeking nice treatment when I treat others nicely?
  • Do I “do unto others” as or so that “I would have them do likewise unto me?
  • Do I really listen or am I formulating my own thoughts while others are talking?
  • Am I capable of placing myself under the authority of another for whom I will speak?
  • Do I appear humble or am I humble?
  • When I am on my knees, am I kneeling in my heart?
  • Do I behave differently alone or with my family than I do in public? 
  • Am I “a man of truth”?
Jesus was the only pure and authentic “man of truth” yet, He did not possess an inflated self-view. Christ willingly placed Himself under the authority of His Father: “My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me” (John 7.16). Jesus claimed no ownership for His teaching which He delivered purely for the benefit of others. He had nothing to gain and, of course, paid a high price for His message. Jesus lost everything including His own life. Jesus proved He “is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” 

What’s not to trust?
_______________

The interesting close-up of the coin is called "In God We Trust" by photographer Terry C. with caption: "IN GOD WE TRUST" the US quarter say[s] it all! at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenor_t/485575711/.

No comments: