Thursday, April 28, 2022

"I'm Seeing Red"

John 16.12, 18, 25 NAS

“I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.”

“We do not know what He is talking about.”

"These things I have spoken to you in figurative language…”



I use a red letter edition of the Bible. That means the words of Jesus are printed in red ink. My current reading in the New Testament is almost exclusively red. Christ’s farewell teachings are found in John’s gospel and nowhere else. Following the Last Supper, Jesus delivered a 2,600 word, approximately twenty minute speech intended as final instructions to His eleven remaining disciples after Judas left his band of brothers (John, chapters 14-17). The Master covered subjects of persecution, the Holy Spirit, love, and unity among believers. He offered comfort and concluded with a beautiful intercessory prayer on behalf of His followers.

Throughout the Lord’s presentation, His disciples interrupted with questions expressing some frustration. They did not comprehend the meaning of Christ’s words and honestly admitted to one another, “We do not know what He is talking about.” How could they? The Bible states that Jesus was speaking to them in “figurative language.” He knew they weren’t able to “bear” the “many more things” He could have said.

How “many more things” has Jesus kept from me because I “cannot bear them now?” I wonder how truly ignorant I am. Probably more than I think I am. There is so very much I do not (and may never) know. When it comes to “the unfathomable riches of Christ”, (Ephesians 3.8), I can’t even begin to know what I don’t know. But one thing I do know…

“I know Jesus, the One in whom I have believed.”
2nd Timothy 1.12 NCV

In the end it only matters who you know, not what you know.
____________

Check out Assaf Shtilman's art and photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/assafs/. His photo (above top) called "Red Letters" is used by permission. The symbols spell "Letters" in Hebrew (read from right to left).

The stamped red letter image is called "Red Letter Day" and used by permission from photographer Gene Han at http://www.flickr.com/photos/larimdame/291827527/.

No comments: