Thursday, January 13, 2022

"Too Embarrassed to Post"

Matthew 9.27-30a “The Message”

“As Jesus left the house, he was followed by two blind men crying out, ‘Mercy, Son of David! Mercy on us!’ When Jesus got home, the blind men went in with him. Jesus said to them, ‘Do you really believe I can do this?’ They said, ‘Why, yes, Master!’ He touched their eyes and said, ‘Become what you believe.’ It happened. They saw.”

There are a few holes in my profession of faith. I do not always act in accordance with my belief system. The way I live does not perfectly match up to the standards I set for myself and others. To this reality Jesus offers a simple solution…

“Become what you believe.”

My response to this text is similar to the blind men: ‘Jesus, have mercy on me.’ Jesus meets me where I’m at: “Do you really believe I can do this?” That is a trick question. It’s another way of asking, ‘Are you for real?’ or ‘Do you really want this?’ or, most directly, ‘Don’t waste My time if you don’t mean it!’



The sincerity test forces the issue of faith. Do I have enough faith to act in accordance with my request? The blind men could have remained blind even after Jesus healed them. They could have refused to open their eyes! Lest you think that is absurd, ask yourself, ‘Have I ever closed my eyes to the truth? Have I ever refused to see the obvious?’ Even spiritually blind people have choices. They must open the eyes of their heart and ‘become what they believe.’

I have a special request of the Lord this morning. It’s an old one. I’ve asked before. It’s a noble desire. I am certain that God wills what I want. But I don’t yet have it. I’m frankly too embarrassed to publicly post my prayer request. But I will tell you where the request is hidden. I have written it on the last page in my Bible just before the maps section, on page 1073 of my Zondervan NASB. I carry this Bible with me most places I go. If you really want to know what I am too embarrassed to post, you can look there. I give you permission.

My cry for Christ’s mercy reveals a big blind spot for me. Do I truly believe He can do this thing for me? Can I honestly say with other blind men who need Jesus, “Why, yes, Master!” If so, I should open my eyes and do what my Master says…

“Become what you believe.”
_______________ 

I originally made this blog entry on January 14, 2010 after many years of repetitive prayer.  My prayer was eventually answered by mid 2011, in a way I never anticipated. It was an absolute gift from God which I did not deserve but freely received. Today, January 13, 2022, thirteen years later, God continues to honor my request, so I am willing to post here the original prayer I hand wrote on the last page of my NASB Bible: "Lord, I want to be free of all consumer debt. Lord, have mercy! Deliver me from debt!" I have been debt free for nearly nine years. That's a miracle, and one I hope (and intend) to enjoy for my remaining years of life. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: