Wednesday, December 15, 2021

"A Divine Pick-Me-Up"

Hosea 11.4 NIV

“I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them.” 

I heard the rustle of happy sounds coming from the entry of our home. “Come here Daddy. Hurry!” I played dumb. Mom hung mistletoe and the kids wanted to give it a test drive. My two youngest children and their mother met my approach with lots of giggling. I pretended not to notice the Christmas decoration hanging over their heads.

My five-year old Rachel cried, “Pick me up Daddy.” “Why?,” I inquired. “Please Daddy. Just pick me up. Hurry!” I knew what was coming. I bent over and lifted her to face level. She kissed my cheek over and over. My wife and boy joined the fun. There was lots of kissing and laughter. Thank God for mistletoe!

I “was... one who lifts a little child to the cheek.” I “bent down.” I had to. There was no other way to pick up my little girl.

Those were happy times. My little Rachel is almost twenty years old now. Robert is ready to graduate from Air Force Academy, and Mom died of cancer only a little over six years ago ago. How vividly I recall and long for our “mistletoe” moment again.  

I now need Jesus to bend down and pick me up…

...when I fall and hurt myself
...when I’m lonely
...when I miss my wife
...when I wonder if I’m-loved
...when I want some affection
...when I need a little attention
...when I’m looking for direction
...when I want a better view of things
...when I feel unworthy
...when I need to feel His warmth
...when I’m lost
...when I hurt deep inside

Call it a ‘divine pick-me-up.’ It’s better than caffeine, vitamins, alcohol, or sugar. I am unable to jump into His strong arms. He’s too big for me. Jesus “bent down” to pick me up. When I’m in His arms, I feel warm and secure; I never want to get down.

I’m glad for God’s gracious act of condescension. He “bent down” to “lift” me up when He heard the urgent prayer of my heart:

“Come here Jesus. Hurry! Pick me up. Please!”
________________

Photograph "Pick Me Up Daddy" from Heart of the Father Art.

No comments: