Monday, November 08, 2021

"The Lessons Hazor Missed"

Jeremiah 49.30-31 NKJV

“Flee, get far away! Dwell in the depths, O inhabitants of Hazor!” says the Lord. “For Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon has taken counsel against you, and has conceived a plan against you.”

“Arise, go up to the wealthy nation that dwells securely,” says the Lord, “Which has neither gates nor bars, dwelling alone.”

Jeremiah warned the nomadic tribes of Hazor and Kedar, “Flee, get far away” from the violent assault of Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. This foreign nation would sweep Palestine to become the dominating power of the Middle East around six hundred years before Christ.

Hazor was an easy target as described in verse 31. It was considered a “wealthy [Bedouin] nation that dwells securely.” Hazor’s villages of tents had “neither gates nor bars” and inhabitants kept to themselves, living “alone” in the desert areas of upper Canaan. Hazor was easy pickings for the mighty Babylonian army for three critical reasons...





Complacent: “wealthy nation that dwells securely” ~ Am I complacent in the level of security I have achieved? Do I trust my bank accounts, 401K, and retirement plan more than Jesus? If so, then I better listen to God…

Because you say, ‘I am rich, and have become
wealthy, and have need of nothing’, and you do not know that you
are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked...”
Revelation 3:15-17

Defenseless: “which has neither gates nor bars” ~ Have I faithfully erected gates of protection against the temptations that assault my mind every day? Are the iron bars of daily prayer, the authority in Christ, and dependence upon His Word solidly in place? If not, then I need to…

“...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.”
Ephesians 6:11, 13

Isolated: “dwelling alone” ~ Do I think I can make it all by myself without the help of my Christian brothers and sisters? Have I become deluded in the belief that allies are optional? If this is true, then I should get back to church…

“...and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love
and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together,
as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another...”
Hebrews 10:24-25

I have an enemy. Babylon will take me down unless I learn the lessons Hazor missed.
___________________

"Complacency" illustration from Naval Safety Center.

No comments: