Friday, October 15, 2021

"I Am Not Nothing"

Jeremiah 2.5-6 CJB

“Here is what Adonai says: ‘What did your ancestors find wrong with me to make them go so far away from me, to make them go after nothings and become themselves nothings?’ ”

I am not nothing. Nor am I good for nothing. I’m better than nothing, much better. The Bible says I am something. I have significance by virtue of God’s design for me which He had in mind long before I was conceived. Of me He says…

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you”
Jeremiah 1.5a NAS

I am called. I have purpose. My destiny is secure. This was God’s intention before He made the world.

I was not created to be nothing. However, I can make nothing of myself. Check out these various versions of the text, Jeremiah 2.5...

If I go after nothing, I become nothing..
“…to make themselves go after nothings and become themselves nothings”
The Complete Jewish Bible

If I pursue that which is worthless, I become worthless.
“went after worthless things, and became worthless themselves”
New Revised Standard Version

If I walk after emptiness, I become empty.
“walked after emptiness and became empty”
New American Standard Bible

If I chase vanity, I become vain.
“walked after vanity, and are become vain”
King James Version

If I engage in useless activities, I become useless.
“worshiped useless idols and became useless themselves.
New Century Version

If I follow after foolish things, I become a fool.
“changed them into fools who worship idols”
The Living Bible

If I act falsely, I become false.
“walking after what is false, have become false”
Bible in Basic English

Apparently, I become what I pursue. The Bible tells me what to pursue: 

“…pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
1st Timothy 6.11 NIV

_______________________

Note: The painting above is a water color by Igor Kagan in 2002 and entitled “Monkey reaching for moon.” It humorously reminds me of the futility of pursuits that are nothing more than a reflection of reality.

2 comments:

CharlieTD said...

“Apparently, I become anything I pursue. Maybe that’s why the Bible says…
…pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.”

I pursue geocaches (with a passion).

http://www.geocaching.com

Geocaches could be described as basically worthless, useless in themselves, nothing special and frequently empty. So why do I do this? Well, for the vanity of points....

Wow... I need re-programming!

davescriven said...

I think geocaching would be fun, just like any other hobby or interest people pursue with a passion. Knowing you, I believe you are also pursuing the things of the Lord with a passion.

Dave