Tuesday, September 14, 2021

"Huh?"

Ecclesiastes 5.20 NIV

“He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.”


Once there was a man who sought the meaning of life. He read books on philosophy, asked for advice from friends, and prayed without ceasing. His quest for understanding led him all over the world. He searched high and low, far and wide, long and hard for ultimate truth. He dedicated himself to discover the treasures of wisdom and the knowledge of the ages. He investigated the claims of all the world’s great religions. But nothing quenched the longing of his thirsty soul.

One day in the quiet of his study, he heard a voice from heaven say, “I know what you are looking for. There’s a guy down the street who has it all put together. Go visit him. He will tell you the meaning of life.”

The man hurried to his neighbor’s house. A plain-looking, balding man with a kind demeanor appeared at the door. He welcomed his visitor and together they sat with a cup of tea. The seeker began, “I heard a voice. I think it was God. He told me to come see you.” “Go on,” said the host. “I am looking for the meaning of life. I’ve spent my entire existence seeking to discover the secret of the universe. I’ve tried it all… pleasure, wealth, reading, praying, meditation, women, work, booze, wealth, but nothing satisfies. I’m still searching. You apparently have it all together. That’s what the voice said. I’ve spoken to Zen masters, learned from gurus, read the classics, and followed great leaders. Nothing. Nothing I’ve tried satisfies my quest for enlightenment. Can you help? Please tell me. What is the reason for existence, the purpose of being, and the meaning of life?” 


The man with the answers looked quizzically at his guest, scratched his bald head, and said, “Huh? Can you repeat the question?”

The author of Ecclesiastes claimed, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven… a time to search and a time to give up” (Ecclesiastes 3.1, 6). There is a time to quit trying to ‘get’ everything, including the meaning of things you don’t (and probably never will) understand. Perhaps godly people know how to let go of that stuff and relax a little. They’re far too busy enjoying the life the Lord
gave them to waste time figuring out its meaning. Too much introspection can kill a guy. Quite possibly, the true Jesus follower “seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.”

“When I determined to load up on wisdom and examine everything taking place on earth,
I realized that if you keep your eyes open day and night without even blinking,
you'll still never figure out the meaning of what God is doing on this earth.
Search as hard as you like, you're not going to make sense of it. No
matter how smart you are, you won't get to the bottom of it.”

Ecclesiastes 8.16-17 The Message

No comments: