Tuesday, August 10, 2021

"Awaken the Dawn"

Psalm 57.8 NIV

“Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

“I will awaken the dawn.” I love those words. Nothing compares to morning. It’s the best time of the day. There’s no one (except God) to talk to. It’s quiet and peaceful and the ideal time to refresh your soul. 

Jesus was a morning person. He would “awaken the dawn” as Gospel writer Mark recorded…

“In the early morning, while it was still dark, 
Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a
secluded place, and was praying there.”
Mark 1.35 NASU

What prompted the psalmist to roll out of bed commanding himself, “Awake, my soul?” 

Why did Jesus arise “while it was still dark?” For Jesus, it was prayer. 

David, the author of this psalm, used his early alone time for worship...

“I will awaken the dawn. I will give thanks to You, 
O Lord, among the peoples. I will sing Your praises. 
Be exalted above the heavens, O God;
Let Your glory be above all the earth.”
Psalm 57.8c-9, 11 NASU

I can “awaken the dawn” throughout the day. Every time I recall this special moment, I will try to utter a quiet word of praise to God. 

Whenever it ‘dawns’ on me to do so, I will talk to Jesus.

No comments: