Thursday, July 22, 2021

"Make a Difference"

The Almighty Dollar ain't that impressiveJob 29.2-6 “The Message”

Oh, how I long for the good old days, when God took such very good care of me. He always held a lamp before me and I walked through the dark by its light. Oh, how I miss those golden years when God's friendship graced my home, when the Mighty One was still by my side and my children were all around me,

When everything was going my way, and nothing seemed too difficult.

Contrary to prevailing opinion, most business owners I know are not single-mindedly committed to the pursuit of financial success. The “almighty dollar” is not the God they serve. The majority of people would rather “make a difference” than “make a buck.” A man solely committed to the pursuit of money is not a happy man. He sold his soul for a cheap replica of fulfillment and happiness.

Job was a man of high and noble intentions. He was dedicated to something infinitely more worthy than money. He wanted to make a difference in his community and leave the world a better place than he found it. It was not money he wanted, or the comfort, friends, and influence money could buy. Job longed to help people. He had the heart of a shepherd of souls, a pastor. In the midst of his most desperate suffering, Job cried for the return of “the good old days,” the times when…

“God took such very good care of me... everything was going my way,
and nothing seemed too difficult”

Why did Job want to return to the past? The obvious answer is those days were easier and more comfortable than his current affliction. But there’s more. In describing happier days, Job asserted...

This woman made a difference
“I was eyes to the blind and feet
to the lame, I was a father to the needy; I took up the case of the stranger, I broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth. I was like one
who comforts mourners.”
Job 29.15-17, 25c NIV

Job cared for the plight of the blind, lame, needy, aliens, grief-stricken, and victims of abuse. His life had purpose and Job was happy.

The reflections of Job in the midst of his torment brings into focus the true reason for a dedicated life… to serve others in need with the good news of Jesus Christ.

“Then the righteous will answer Him,
‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty,
and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger,
and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
When did we see You sick, or in prison,
and come to You?’

The King will answer and say to them,
‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of
these brothers of Mine, even the least of them,
you did it to Me.’
Jesus, Matthew 25.37-40 NASU

No comments: