Tuesday, May 16, 2023

"The Prayer of a Salesman"

1st Kings 17.14 NIV

 “For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land.’”

I was a salesman. I used to wake up every single morning unemployed. I had sell more if I hoped to get another paycheck and feed my family. Paul warned the early church “If you don’t work, you don’t eat” (2nd Thessalonians 3.10). In my case, if I didn’t sell, I didn’t eat... and neither did my kids! For some salespeople, this fact creates undue pressure rendering them incapable of the very thing they must exhibit... sales performance.

I’ve worried about my next sale, especially early in my career. But through the years I’ve become a believer in the miracle of divine multiplication. I’ve always had enough. My family never missed a meal. The kids always had a roof over their heads. There were lean and hard times, but we always managed. When I first moved to Portland in the mid-80’s, I had nothing except my wife, three kids, and a beat up car. I wondered how I would find an income in this community. I was the widow of Zarephath…

“I have no bread, only a handful of flour in the bowl and a little oil in the jar;
and behold, I am gathering a few sticks that I may go in and prepare for
me and my son, that we may eat it and die.”
1st Kings 17.12 NASU

There were a few nights when I thought we were consuming our last meal. But there was always more the next day. Even in my darkest hours following a difficult divorce and disastrous custody battle, God provided for my children, their mother, and me. For a short time I was homeless, living in my car, yet God still proved faithful and provided amply.

The journey from then to now was rough but, by God’s grace, and the miracle of divine multiplication, I got here. Today I have a beautiful home, seven great kids, eleven amazing grandchildren, a vibrant past career from which I am now fully retired, a new car, a wonderful little dog, and a piano. I feel like the richest man on earth; I am continally grateful. 

For over twenty years I had the woman of my dream. My marriage to Adonica was the best thing that ever happened to me. Leukemia took her life nearly eight years ago, but my life is enriched today because of her. I am truly a blessed man.

How did I survive? Did I always work hard? Did I tithe on every penny of my small income? Did I give God all the glory all the time? Was I fully faithful with the little I had? Did I do anything to deserve the prosperity I now enjoy? No, no, no, and no. I tried to implement a few basic principles of financial success, usually without notable results. I cannot give myself credit in any way. Nor can I offer a testimonial-type formula that would make sense to others in financial straits. I find some solace and comfort in the record of Job’s writings...

“The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”
Job 1.21

If it were not for the abundant and providential grace of God, I could be the guy standing at the freeway entrance with an “every little bit helps” sign. I’ve been homeless with nothing to my name. Today I have a very nice home, the gift of a beautiful family, plenty of friends, a steady and ample income, and an 830 credit score. Today it’s easy to say “Blessed be the name of the Lord!”

I was a salesman. I used to wake up unemployed every single morning. I trusted, and still trust, the same Jesus who multiplied the fish and loaves and fed thousands of hungry followers in the first century A.D. He will feed my family and me today. I choose to approach this day with confident expectation: “Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6.11). I know the God who owns “the cattle on a thousand hills” (Psalm 50.10) can give me another sale. I believe in the miracle of divine multiplication.

“The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry.”

“My cup runneth over!”
Psalm 23.5

No comments: