Friday, April 21, 2023

"Decision-Making 101"

1st Samuel 23.1-5 “The Message”
 
“It was reported to David that the Philistines were raiding Keilah and looting the grain. David went in prayer to God: ‘Should I go after these Philistines and teach them a lesson?’ God said, ‘Go. Attack the Philistines and save Keilah.’ 

But David's men said, ‘We live in fear of our lives right here in Judah. How can you think of going to Keilah in the thick of the Philistines?’
 
So David went back to God in prayer. God said, ‘Get going. Head for Keilah. I'm placing the Philistines in your hands.’ David and his men went to Keilah and fought the Philistines. He scattered their cattle, beat them decisively, and saved the people of Keilah.”

Problem: The Philistines were raiding Keilah.
Plan: David went to prayer. God answered. “Go… save Keilah”.
Opposition: David’s troops did not want to go. They were afraid.
Confirmation: David did not argue with his men. Nor did he cave into their fears. “David went back to God in prayer” and God told him the same thing as before… “Head for Keilah.”
Results: David and his men beat the Philistines and “saved the people of Keilah.”

The problem with problems is they always require a decision of me. That’s the real problem! I don’t like to make decisions. Decision-making scares me. My decisions will positively or adversely affect my future and that of my loved ones. That’s where Jesus comes in. It would be wise for me to seek His guidance in every important decision before I make it. 

When I sense the the Lord’s direction, I can expect opposition. It is best neither to argue nor acquiesce. If someone who matters questions my decision, I should go back to prayer and await confirmation of the original message. If I hear the same thing in my soul again, then I must find the courage and gather the faith to be a leader and make a decision.

No comments: