Monday, April 17, 2023

"Make It Count!"

1st Samuel 12.23 NIV

“As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right.”


Samuel was a real leader. He was a prophet, priest, and judge in Israel about a thousand years before the birth of Christ. He was a father of the faith for his countrymen. Samuel was called to pray for his nation and teach truth to his people. For Samuel, to fall short of his divine mandate was to commit gross sin.

I too am called to shepherd a flock. My flock is much smaller than Samuel’s, but no less significant. My precious wife, who died of cancer eight and a half years ago, gifted me with two incredible children I was privileged to finish raising. 

I have seven children, from two marriages; some of my kids are grown and live far away from home, but they occasionally call me for what we amusingly refer to as “cheap fatherly advice.” I’m even blessed with six cool little grandsons (one is not so little any more!) and five beautiful granddaughters. I have an outstanding daughters and sons by marriage and a host of amazing in-laws. I’m surrounded by good neighbors and scores of excellent clients and vendors. I belong to a church which meets in a warehouse and I have an active ministry with hundreds of men and women. I stay in touch with many friends from the past. I participate in a couple social networks, practice Salsa and West Coast Swing in a local dance studio, and play racquetball with a bunch of guys at a local sports club. This is my little flock.

As I visualize these people, I know what I must do. I must teach them by my example, attitudes, and words “the way that is good and right.” Furthermore, I must not “sin against the LORD by failing to pray for” them.

This is an awesome calling, which I don’t always fulfill as I should. But God inspires me to try. I have have an opportunity to love and cherish the people Jesus gave me. These relationships are priceless. 

Whether together in person or apart on my knees or in thought, I want every minute I spend with each of these special humans to count.

No comments: