Wednesday, March 29, 2023

"But..."

Joshua 17.14-18 (selected portions) NLT

“The descendants of Joseph came to Joshua and asked, ‘Why have you given us only one portion of land as our homeland when the Lord has blessed us with so many people?’

“Joshua replied, ‘If there are so many of you, clear out land for yourselves in the forest where the Perizzites and Rephaites live.’

“The descendants of Joseph responded, ‘But all the Canaanites in the lowlands have iron chariots,… They are too strong for us.’

“Then Joshua said to the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh, the descendants of Joseph, ‘The forests of the hill country will be yours… Clear as much of the land as you wish, and take possession of its farthest corners. And you will drive out the Canaanites from the valleys,… even though they are strong and have iron chariots.’



I was fourteen years old and explained, “Dad, I need some more money.” I thought he’d understand.

“Get a job,” was all he said. I looked for a job along the Aurora Avenue strip of businesses on both sides of NE 130th in Seattle in 1966. I was met with rejection. I soon discovered that labor laws prevented companies from hiring fourteen year old's. Surely my dad would understand that.

“Dad, I need some more money and I am too young to get a job.” Dad expanded a little on his earlier advise. “Figure it out son. Get a job.” 

My dad didn’t listen very well. Primarily to prove him wrong I went door-knocking again. When I inquired at Art Lee’s Chinese Restaurant, owner Art Woo handed me an apron and pointed at a stack of unwashed dishes. I asked to borrow the phone first.

“Dad, I got a job. I’ll be earning $1.25 an hour!” I could not have been happier to prove Dad right.

The sons of Joseph asked their leader for more land. Their request seemed justified. “The LORD has blessed us with so many people.” Joshua responded, “If there are so many of you, clear out land for yourselves in the forests of the Perizzites.”

Oh no! Not the forests of the Perizzites! Those guys are “too strong for us.” They have (gasp) “iron chariots!” Like my dad, Joshua didn’t listen too well. Also like dad, Joshua was prone to repeating himself... Clear out the forests and “drive out the Canaanites… even though they are strong and have iron chariots.”

Meeting opposition? Facing resistance? Suffering rejection? Don’t stop. Do what Jesus has shown you to do. Iron chariots and dense forests make no difference. Your excuses won’t work here. Get the job done.

No comments: