Monday, February 20, 2023

"Jesus Mentions You by Name"

Numbers 1.17 NKJV

“Then Moses and Aaron took these men who had been mentioned by name,…”

It is always proper to mention a person by name in casual, group conversation if that person is there and participating in the discussion. To refer to a present party as “him” or “her,” “she” or “he” is rude. A failure to properly address a person by name is a subtle way of diminishing their value in the conversataional interaction.

God never does that. He “mentioned by name” those selected to lead the people of God. Those so “mentioned” had names you would not recognize or see in common usage today. Names like Elizur, Shelumiel and Nahshon. There was Nehanel, Eliab, Elishama, Gamaliel and Abidan; Ahiezer, Pagiel, Eliasaph and Ahira. They had strange-sounding names, but God “mentioned them by name” nonetheless.

Whenever I go to church I am greeted by many wonderful people. I see their smiles and hear them offer a friendly, “Hi Dave.” I am mentioned by name and it warms my heart. I feel doubly blessed when I am able to return the favor and respond, “Good morning John (or Betty, or Phil, or Herman, or Julie).” I sometimes resort to the generic “Hi brother” or “How are you my sister?” when I cannot recall their names (which happens more than I wish it did). But whenever possible, I address a person by their name.

I’ve heard it said that a person’s name is the sweetest sound in his or her universe. I hope to better cultivate the practice of remembering names and to say the names of people often in prayer and conversation. It is a loving thing to do.

In His first post-resurrection conversation, Jesus looked intently into the eyes of His most faithful follower and uttered only one word... “Mary” (John 20.16). Memorize this verse. It won’t be hard to remember. “Mary.” Say it out loud. Now exchange her name for yours. Close your eyes. Imagine to Jesus peering into your soul. He is full of love. He mentions you by name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edward and Elizabeth Elliott were married in 1926. They had six children. These people were registered by their ancentry and their clans. They were counted in the desert of Seattle.

From the descendants of Betty June Zech:

1) Karen
2) Jerome
3) Julie
4) Mary Kay
5) Joseph
6) Theresa
7) Jack
8) Margie
9) Richard

From the descendants of Edward Elliott Junior:

1) Suzie
2) Vicky
3) Edward III
4) Jan

From the descendants of Robert Elliott:

1) Bryan
2) Theresa
3) Robert Junior

From the descendants of Virginia Solseng:

1) Jozie
2) Edward, (yes, another one)
3) Joseph
4) Mary Ann
5) Anne
6) Jan

From the descendants of Mary Kay Murphy:

1) Michelle
2) James
3) Michael

From the descendants of Richard Elliott:

1) Sean
2) Ryan
3) Colleen
4) Shannah

"God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful and increase in number. Fill the earth (Capitol Hill in Seattle) and subdue it."

-----CMM

Dave, (notice I used your first name). Thanks for everything you do on Friday and Sunday mornings. I have struggled with this cold/flu/flesh eating bacteria thing, so have not been able to enjoy the last week as I had hoped. Appreciate how you brought some life to Leveticus. Hope your family is healthy. Will see you Friday. (Note to self: bring wallet and pay for food accordingly). Have a great week.

----CMM AGAIN