Monday, January 16, 2023

"Accidental Discoveries"

Genesis 36.24 NKJV

“These were the sons of Zibeon: both Ajah and Anah. This was the Anah who found the water in the wilderness as he pastured the donkeys of his father Zibeon.”

Many significant discoveries have been made quite by accident. Gravity, penicillin, X-rays, cellophane, Post-it notes, Superglue, Velcro, Scotchgard, safety glass, the popsicle, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and our beloved country of America were all accidental discoveries.[1]

Anah was tending his father, Zibeon’s donkeys in the region of Seir south of the Dead Sea nearly 2,000 years before Christ. He was minding his father’s business when he stumbled upon an undiscovered hot springs. His accidental discovery earned him the name “Beeri” (Genesis 26.34) meaning ‘my well’ or ‘water man.’ On the day he discovered water in the wilderness, Beeri the Hittite (alias Anah, son of Zibeon) was not planning to make an important discovery you and I would read about 4,000 years later in a book called Genesis. He was just going about his father’s business.

I am called to take care of my Father’s business. Maybe today, I will stumble upon water in the wilderness. It could happen at an unexpected time when I am preoccupied with the activities God has called me to perform. My accidental discovery may benefit humankind in ways I cannot imagine. Just like Beeri the Hittite and Jesus of Nazareth, I am should attend to my Father’s business. Something new could come of that. 

“Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?”
Jesus, Luke 2.49b NKJV

__________________

[1] For good reference material on this subject check out these two books by Royston M. Roberts: Serendipity ~ Accidental Discoveries in Science and Lucky Science ~Accidental Discoveries from Gravity to Velcro, with Experiments.

Artist in picture above unknown. 

No comments: