Thursday, December 01, 2022

"Deep Reading"

Revelation 1.3 NKJV

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.”

Houses need regular cleaning. Dust gathers. Mud gets tracked in. Dirt happens. A home owner can get by with superficial cleaning for a while. It helps to invite guests over to the home. The pressure of “having company” may spur the host into a much needed cleaning frenzy. A rapid run-through with the vacuum cleaner, a quick de-cluttering, throw the dishes in the dishwasher, check the bathrooms.

Most visitors will not notice (or be too polite to comment on) hidden dirt lurking just beyond the line of vision. Surface cleaning is passable... for a while. Eventually, every home needs ‘deep cleaning’ above the bookcase and door frames, under the beds and rugs, behind the toilets, and in all the corners and cracks of unlit and forgotten places.

I can read the Bible superficially. A quick run-through a chapter or two. A check mark by an interesting verse, a minute of meditation, and call it good. The Christian company I keep remains sufficiently impressed with my basic, and somewhat superficial, knowledge and application of Scripture.

Surface Bible reading works… for a while. At some point I need to do some ‘deep reading.’ The dust of the world settles naturally in my brain. The mold of sin quickly grows around my soul. The clutter of undisciplined behavior collects on every horizontal surface of my being. I wouldn’t want Jesus to see my spiritual house this way. I need to do some ‘deep reading;’ that is, the kind of Bible study that actually pays attention to what I’m reading instead of allowing my thoughts to wander while my eyes scan the text. ‘Deep reading’ requires me to actually hear the text, open my heart to the deeper meaning, and listen to the Holy Spirit. It begins with the rock solid conviction that, because God will speak to me from the pages of Scriptures, I must pay attention and then act accordingly.

I think it’s time to get my spiritual house in order and invite Jesus over for a visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
This mourning as I began my PBJ I prayed not only for God to guide me in my Bible study but also to motivate me to use this day the best that I can in his plan for me and to get my house clean which I have been unmotivated to do for a long long time. Mentally, I just haven't felt like it. I have been wanting to invite my Alpha study group to my house but have not done so because I have let my house cleaning get behind and I am ashamed of the way I let it go. We will be meeting on Mon. and I plan on inviting them to my house the next time we meet. I will be doing a good cleaning of both my house and my mind thanks to you and your message. Maybe I will even put up a Christmas tree! I am continually amazed the way the Lord works is mysterious ways in my life.

Thank you,
God Belss

davescriven said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It encourages me so much to know that God spoke to you in such an amazing way this morning. I appreciate your words.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Good analogy, Dave. Thanks for your faithfulness in your journaling and on your blog. Much to discuss in Revelation chapter # 2. Will see you in 390 minutes.

-----CMM

davescriven said...

Thanks CMM.