The text offers explanation and definition to this dual concept...
GODLINESS (vv. 3-5)
- agree with the words of Jesus
- don’t be conceited
- avoid lengthy discussions on controversial questions
- stay away from disputes and quarrels
- overcome envy, strife, and relational friction
- stop abusive language
- resist evil suspicions
- pursue righteousness, faith and love
- persevere and be gentle
- be fully satisfied with food, clothing, and shelter
- flee the love of money
- be generous and ready to share
Could “great gain” is something way different, even way better, than what I thought it was? I should cultivate heaven’s perspective and look for heaven’s result…
Jesus, Matthew 6.19-21
The image at the top of this post is the Japanese symbol for "contentment".
The beautiful painting of the little girl and her kitten is entitled "Contentment" by artist Jim Daly who says, "This scene is... a picture of contentment. Most of us have had this experience of contentment. We try to hold on to it as long as we can, but it usually lasts only a moment, then it passes into our memories or is forgotten forever." You can learn more about Jim's work and how to purchase his excellent prints at http://www.jimdalyart.com/.