Friday, October 21, 2022

"The Art of Imitation"

Hebrews 6.12 NIV

“We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.”

Did you ever want to run away and join the circus? I did. As a boy, I dreamt of traveling the world as a juggler or lion tamer or trapeze artist. It was just dream for me, but there are people who actually do that. Circus performers were heroes in my young mind and I wanted to be just like them.

In September 2006 my wife and I took our youngest children to the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus. It was magical, imaginative, and colorful. My kids loved it. So did I. The “Greatest Show on Earth” rekindled my early desire to travel with a troupe of acrobats, magicians, and clowns entertaining children around the world. I still want to train lions, ride elephants, and take a pie in the face for a laugh.

One month later, Adonica and I attended a very different circus with close friends and clients. Our eyes and ears overflowed with fantastic costumed and lighted images and rhythmic sounds of world music in the Guy Laliberté production of Cirque Du Soleil’s “Delirium.” This circus is not for kids but it did throw me back to my childhood. The hula-hoopsters, musicians, and dancers were fearless and powerful. They displayed their amazing talent with a grace that seemed to defy reality. It was transcendent, almost supernatural. I wished I was young enough to train to be a circus performer.

I imagine every successful circus professional started out with a dream just like me. At some crucial point, the emerging entertainer made the decision to run away and join the circus. To earn an audition, the performer ‘wanna-be’ had to live and breathe the essence of Hebrews 6.12...
  • overcome laziness in the practice of his/her skill
  • exhibit great faith and patience
  • imitate other successful circus performers
“We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who
through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.”

God gives dreams. You have one. Don’t be lazy. Open your eyes. Who is living your dream? Do what they did. Practice the art of imitation. Persevere. No successful performer on the circus stage of life got and stayed there by accident. It started with a dream. Then there was practice, practice, and more practice. Faithful dedication to the pursuit of excellence and patient repetition of your craft is mandatory to achieve your goal to stand before the great audiences of Ringling, Barnum, Bailey, Laliberté, and the world stage.

“We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who
through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.”



No comments: