Thursday, September 29, 2022

"Living Water"

1st Timothy 4.16 NASU 

Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.”

Jesus asked, “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” (Matthew 7.3). I have enough eye debris to cause a log jam. Paul’s advice to the young pastor Timothy applies to me:

“Pay close attention to yourself”!
Paul, 1st Timothy 4.16

Because I have self-serving tendencies, it would be wise for me to monitor them. The second wisest of all men (Jesus was the wisest) warned:

“Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.”
Solomon, Proverbs 4.23

Three amazing men conveyed exactly the same truth…
  • Jesus reminds me that I have at least a log’s worth of self-improvement to deal with.
  • Paul commands me to “pay close attention” to the logs in my life.
  • Solomon expects me to work diligently to divert the log jams and keep the “springs of life” flowing freely.
The Bible’s relevant observation about me evokes a personal response in me... Flush the eye logs of character flaws and performance defects down the rivers of living waters through honest introspection and fearless self-disclosure. Keep these “springs of life” flowing at all costs. Teach from this place of vigilant self-truth. Perhaps my cleansing river may flow with enough strength to inspire others standing along the banks to toss their own particles of debris into the fast-moving current.

“…for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.”
Paul, 1st Timothy 4.16

“He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said,
‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’”
Jesus, John 7.37

No comments: