“We... opened wide our hearts to you. We are not withholding
our affection from you... open wide your hearts also.”
The most precious gift you can offer another human being is the gift of yourself. Telling the truth about who you are, where you’ve been, how you’ve failed, and what you believe is risky business. When you “open wide” your heart and share your “affection”, you may not receive the same in return. Reciprocity is not guaranteed. But when it happens, it’s a miracle. The miracle of human connection....
- An audience laughs spontaneously at a comedian’s joke
- The pastor’s sermon penetrates to the soul of his congregation
- A child receives and responds to a parent’s affection
- A man and woman meet and fall in love
- A teacher witnesses his students want to learn
- A married couple experience the joy of sexual intimacy
- Friends meet for coffee and share confidences
- Enemies find common ground and learn to forgive
- Someone meets Jesus for the first time
The image above called "day 20 may 14 open heart" is used by permission of photographer Genevieve Casey whose excellent work can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42037390@N00/.