Monday, July 18, 2022

"What Really Matters"

1st Corinthians 8.1b-3 NIV

“We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 

But the man who loves God is known by God.

What is “knowledge?” Paul argued “the man who thinks he knows something does not yet know.” Apparently, if I think I know something, I don’t.

But even if I did possess a little knowledge, what good would it do? According to the Bible, knowledge makes me arrogant, proud, and ‘puffed up.’ What use is that? A ‘puffed up’ guy becomes a target for anyone with a sharp witted pin. He is quickly deflated to nothing more than limp and colorful latex with a gaping hole, thus fulfilling the biblical adage... “Pride goeth before... a fall” (Proverbs 16.18 KJV).

Lord, deliver me from becoming ‘puffed up’ by the small amount of knowledge I possess. If I must focus upon self-improvement, then I should concentrate on increasing love rather than knowledge.
  • Knowledge is self-centered, but love is others-centered.
  • Knowledge puffs self up with arrogance. Love builds others up with hope.
  • Knowledge is about self. Love is about others.
Love has another benefit. When directed toward God, love apparently increases His knowledge base. Small acts of real love get God’s attention. Loving behavior mysteriously expands His omniscience-capacity and makes the loving human “known by God” in a new way. I would rather be “known by God” than be in 'trivial pursuit' of additional facts about Him.

The best knowledge one may possess is the simple knowledge that small acts of love toward others matter to Jesus.
______________

“Stack of old books” (2003) at the top of this post is by Toronto photographer Quin Liam (http://www.fromoldbooks.org/pictures-of-old-books/). Mr. Liam’s images are “out of copyright” and he graciously offers permission for use of his photographs.

2 comments:

Von Draco said...

Hi Dave, I read the Bible on Friday and I read your input on Sat. But I am having a hard time with it. I don’t know what to even say about it, I was feeling very convicted and ashamed of my past actions. But I am also rejoicing for the fact I understand it and it does convict me, where I believe I was numb to it before. So it’s a mixed bag of emotion that I’m trying to work out.

Today’s is much easier to read and relate to, lol. He is talking about you not ever doing anything that would ever lead another believer to stumble. He goes on to say that he would never eat meat again if his eating it would make the other person stumble. I find this part interesting for I have not thought of the seriousness of making another man/women fall to sin, because as he points out, even if it’s not a sin, but the person thought it was, you are never to encourages then to sin when they feel it’s a sin (Even if it’s not).

Your Bro, Danny McGregor

davescriven said...

Hi Danny,

I am very proud of your personal conviction to follow Christ even into difficult past issues. This is not normally easy territory. Good work, my brother.

Keep trusting Him as you are doing. Pay the price. God will reward you with fresh wisdom and new insights as you investigate the claims of His Word.

Love You, Brother,
Dave