Monday, June 13, 2022

"Euraquilo"

Acts 27.14-15 NASU

“…there rushed down from the land a violent wind, called Euraquilo [1]; and when the ship was caught in it and could not face the wind, we gave way to it and let ourselves be driven along.”

When the wind of circumstance blows mightily in opposing directions, resistance is futile. We have no option but to ‘give way to it.’ Submitting to its force and power, we simply let go of the wheel of control and our ship of life is “driven along” to destinations unknown. Like Paul on his journey to Rome…

“They lost all control of the ship.
It was a cork in the storm.”
Acts 27.15 “The Message”

Loss of control is painful. I fight for control of my own destiny, to remain master of my domain, and captain of my ship. “Euroquilo” appears on the horizon as the enemy of my still and quiet soul. I struggle to avoid her choppy seas and violent winds. But I am unable to resist. She is too strong for me. I am compelled to kneel before Euraquilo and bow to her will. I am forced to allow her intention to have its way with me. I am “a cork in the storm” of Euraquilo’s destructive purpose.

Who (or what) is this “Euraquilo”? Is it Satan? An angel? The unpredictable and difficult circumstances of life? A reappearance of Pentecost's “violent rushing wind” (Acts 2.2)? Is “Euraquilo” God? Or an act of God?

It is not mine know. Answers to questions like these remain elusive, mysterious, and just out of reach. 

What I do understand to be true is...

  1. Euraquilo’s purpose is not for me to know, at least not now.
  2. I will meet the dreaded Euraquilo at various times throughout my life.
  3. If I remain faithful in the face of Euraquilo, Jesus will guide me safely to my shore of hope and my safe harbor. My destiny remains secure. 
_______________________

[1] EURAQUILO A wind of hurricane force translated "northeaster" (NIV) and "Euroclydon" (KJV). It was "the sailor's term for that particular wind, and Paul uses the word which was used by them on that occasion." "The precise name is doubtful, but 'the Euraquilo' is more easily explained as a compound of Greek euros, 'east wind,' and Latin aquilo, 'northeast wind,' hence, euraquilo, 'east northeast wind.'" (International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, Electronic Database Copyright © 1996 by Biblesoft).

The article I quoted here from ISBE was written by Alfred H. Joy, Astronomer at the Mount Wilson Observatory, Pasadena, California from 1915 to 1952. This article has been replaced in the Revised Edition of the ISBE. It should be noted that Luke was the author of the book of Acts. It was Luke then, not Paul, who used the word "Euraquilo" in the account of the storm recorded in Acts 27.14. 

I found the paintings of ships at http://www.voc.iinet.net.au/vergulde.html and http://www.downshoredrift.com/. I was unable to locate the artist's names.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hay Dave and good morning to you

It can be very easy to feel like a "cork" in a typhoon. Elvis sings a gospel song called "The Light House" using it as a metaphor for Jesus. So when you feel like a cork in a typhoon look to Jesus. No one said it would be easy to get there, but Jesus will always be there to help guide you to safety

Love you Brother
Danny McGregor

davescriven said...

Right on, Danny! Thanks for sharing this insight!

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
One of your references suggests that Paul called the wind by the name Euraquilo (Acts 27:14) but in fact, Paul is not the writer here. Luke is the writer of this book and was apparently present with Paul as he states in 27:1 "we".
Thought you'd like to know.
Thanks,
Kathy

davescriven said...

Thanks Kathy. Good catch. I made some corrective changes in the notes at the bottom of the post.

Dave

Anonymous said...


Just when I thought I was secure in my faith, along came "Euraquilo".
Thank you I could not describe this to anyone until now.
The best part are the whispers of hope that this too will pass. Had I not heard them not certain where I'd be .
Marcia

davescriven said...

Thank you for sharing, Maria.