Monday, June 06, 2022

"The Big Screen"

Acts 22:6-9 TEV

“As I was traveling and coming near Damascus, about midday a bright light from the sky flashed suddenly around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul! Why do you persecute me?’ ‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked. ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you persecute,’ he said to me. The men with me saw the light, but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me.


Somewhere around 1930, sound was introduced to film and the “talkies” came into vogue (“talking pictures” evolving from “movies” or “moving pictures”). Audiences were delighted to graduate from silent films and watch the action with synchronized sound.

Paul’s traveling companions were not so lucky. They “saw the light, but did not hear the voice.” The men with Paul followed the action but not the plot. They were captivated by the light and may have heard an indistinguishable sound. Perhaps the voice of Jesus revealed itself like angelic thunder, as in the case of the bystanders who witnessed the thunderous sound of God speaking to His Son from heaven (John 12.29). Paul’s friends probably heard something, but it was garbled and incomprehensible.

I want the full revelation of God’s will in all its Technicolor glory and digitally mastered Dolby sound. I am not satisfied to preview the move of God from the comfort of a padded chair in a silent movie. Give me the “talkies” so I can hear and comprehend the voice of God on the big screen of life. 

Jesus, if necessary, push me off my high horse. Blind me temporarily if You must. But do not take away the sound of Your voice. Let me hear it clearly so that I may know how to fully perform Your purpose for me. 

No comments: