Tuesday, June 13, 2023

"Everybody Needs at Least One"

1st Chronicles 27.33b NLT

Hushai the Arkite was the king’s friend.”

This text may appear insignificant until you look closely at the context. At least five chapters of this book of the Bible (1st Chronicles 23-27) are dedicated to roles and responsibilities, designations and duties of various people in the leadership of David’s kingdom. There are priests, Levites, musicians, prophets, gatekeepers, treasurers, officers, judges, army commanders, tribal leaders, property managers, overseers, counselors, tutors, scribes, and a variety of other workers. Many of the leaders found in these one hundred and sixty verses were mentioned by name... Ladan, Shimei, Jehiel, Zetham, Joel, Shelomoth, Haziel, Haran, Zina, Jeush, Beriah, and about two hundred others. All of them were given titles and specific jobs. Yet, only one was called a “friend.”

Hushai the Arkite fulfilled a unique role in King David’s life. He remained loyal to David at great risk of personal harm. Hushai earned the title “friend” and was the only person so named in the final days of the king’s reign.

A single friend of this caliber was probably all David needed. I know many wonderful people. I could probably mention by name well over two hundred from memory. Many of them I would call friends, or even good friends. But I have very few truly close friends. There is, of course, Jesus, who is my best friend. (An ancestor of mine, Joseph M. Scriven wrote a song about Him in 1855 which seems appropriate to note here... “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.”)

I miss my next best friends, my dad Gil Scriven, who went to be with Jesus nearly twenty years ago, and my mother Betty, six years after dad. My very best friend ever was my loving and faithful wife Adonica, who lost her battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on August 30th, 2015. I’m still trying to figure out how to do life without her. Then there’s Lonnie, Ryan, Alan, Rachel, Joel, Ruth, Bill, Heather, Ken, Greg, Eric, Stanford, Robert, Josh, Tatiana, Luke, Sierra, Shawn, Miles, Christina, Miguel, Shawn, Paul, Johnny, and a handful of others. 

In the close “friend” department, one is probably enough. Everybody needs at least one. I have more than my fair share. I feel so blessed.

No comments: